Donald John Murphy
Went Missing from Knoxville, Iowa
Date Reported Missing: July 20, 1984
Body Found in Polk County, Nov. 1984
On Friday, July 20, 1984, Donald Murphy was reported missing from a Knoxville hospital. In November 1984 hunters found his skeletal remains in northern Polk County just a few days prior to what would have been Murphy’s 40th birthday.
Donald John Murphy was born November 9, 1944, at Knoxville, the son of James Francis and Catherine Bingaman Murphy. He spent most of his life in the Knoxville area. He graduated from Knoxville High School in the class of 1963 and later entered the Coast Guard.
He was preceded in death by his father and an infant brother and sister. He was survived by his mother Catherine of Knoxville; his brothers, James Murphy of Woods, Wisc., Gene Murphy of Lovington, N.M., and Gerald Michael Murphy of rural Knoxville; and his sisters, Mary Margaret Eddleman of Knoxville and Mrs. Clair Lois Rankin of Hobbs, N.M.
A Mass of Christian Burial was held on Murphy’s birthday, Nov. 9, 1984, with Rev. Philip Ryan officiating.
Pallbearers were Bruno Avon, Jim Brees, Bob Momyer, Michael Beard, John Anderson and Charles Galeazzi.
Interment was in St. Mary Cemetery at Weller, Iowa.
- Personal correspondence with victim’s family member
- Knoxville Alumni Association
- Donald J Murphy – Knoxville, Iowa. Death Records
- Donald John Murphy (1944 – 1984) – Find A Grave Memorial
- “United States Social Security Death Index,” database, FamilySearch, : 20 May 2014), Donald J Murphy, 20 Jul 1984; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
- “In other Iowa news,” Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, Nov. 7, 1984