George H. Geary
M & H Service Station
Keosauqua Way and Crocker St.
Des Moines, IA
Des Moines PD Case Number: 1963-601
DCI Case Number: 63-00218
Sunday, January 13, 1963
George H. Geary, 40, had worked at the M & H service station in Des Moines for just one week when on an early Sunday morning, Jan. 13, 1963, someone shot him twice in the head at close range during an apparent robbery.
Two young men who stopped by the Keosauqua Way and Crocker Street station to buy cigarettes found Geary in the service station’s office.
Station Manager Al Van Ampting reported $252.15 missing from the cash register.
George Geary’s survivors included three sons: Bruce, Patrick and Joe.
When the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) established a Cold Case Unit in 2009, George Geary’s murder was one of about 150 cases listed on the Cold Case Unit’s new website as those the DCI hoped to solve using latest advancements in DNA technology.
Although federal grant funding for the DCI Cold Case Unit ran out in December 2011, the DCI continues to assign agents to investigate cold cases as new leads develop or as technological advances allow for additional forensic testing of original evidence.
The DCI remains committed to resolving Iowa’s cold cases and will continue to work diligently with local law enforcement partners to bring the perpetrators of these crimes to justice for the victims and their families.
If you have any information about George Geary’s unsolved murder please contact the Des Moines Police Department at 515-283-4864, or the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at (515) 725-6010 or email email@example.com.
- Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Cold Case Unit, December 5, 2009
- Des Moines Police Department, correspondence to Iowa Cold Cases, July 10, 2009
- Find a Grave Memorial Page
- “Unsolved Iowa killings: friends ‘still feel scars’ and List of ‘case open’ slayings in Iowa, by Nick Lamberto, The Des Moines Register, Sunday, September 8, 1974
- “The Growing List of Iowa’s Unsolved Murder Cases,” by Nick Lamberto, The Des Moines Register, November 24, 1968
- “Six Unsolved Murders Here,” The Des Moines Register, July 11, 1967
- “Killings Go Unsolved: Who Were Their Killers?” by Pat Curran, The Mason City Globe-Gazette, Wednesday, May 26, 1965
- “Unsolved Slayings Climbing in Iowa,” by Pat Curran, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, Wednesday, May 26, 1965
- “Unsolved Iowa Murders Defy All Probe Efforts,” by Pat Curran, The Centerville Iowegian, May 26, 1965
- “2 questioned in slaying,” Mason City Globe-Gazette, January 14, 1963
- “Question Two Men in Connection With Slaying,” Estherville Daily News, January 14, 1963