Eugenio P. Garcia
The body of Eugenio Garcia, 36, was found near the Dougherty Bridge on County Road F-70 about seven miles northwest of Muscatine, Iowa at 7 a.m. on Father’s Day, June 21, 1992.
Sgt. Greg Orr of the Muscatine County Sheriff’s Department reported Garcia had been strangled.
At 11 o’clock that evening, cousins Vicente Rosales, 30, and Pedro Rosales, 18, were arrested in connection with Garcia’s death and charged with one count each of first-degree murder and first-degree kidnapping.
If convicted, both charges carried mandatory life sentences.
According to a Cedar Rapids Gazette article dated June 23, 1992, the Rosales men were accused of forcing Garcia into a vehicle and killing him before dumping his body near the bridge sometime late Saturday or early Sunday morning.
Muscatine County Attorney Bill Creasey told the Gazette the Rosales cousins knew Garcia. The motive for the murder allegedly involved a fight over a relationship with a woman.
“We got them identified quickly,” Orr stated in a Gazette article dated June 24, 1992. “We were fortunate in getting some good witnesses right off the bat. The pieces started falling into place pretty well.”
Though officials felt strongly about their case against the Morales cousins, the two eventually were released and the case went cold.
Orr went on to become Muscatine County Sheriff, and retired in 2008. He passed away in September 2011.
About Eugenio Garcia
Eugenio Garcia was born in Mexico on June 2, 1955. He was survived by his wife, Janice Lynn (Lake) Garcia, and the couple’s child.
If you have any information regarding Eugenio Garcia’s death, please contact the Muscatine County Sheriff’s Office at 563-263-6055.
- Tara Alvarado, correspondence with Iowa Cold Cases, May 2012
- “Former Muscatine County Sheriff passes away: Orr’s years as sheriff capped long law career,” The Muscatine Journal, Sept. 12, 2011
- “Witnesses, interpreter lead to quick arrests in Muscatine crime,” The Cedar Rapids Gazette, June 24, 1992
- “Cousins charged in Muscatine death,” The Cedar Rapids Gazette, June 23, 1992
- “Muscatine man’s death probed,” The Cedar Rapids Gazette, June 22, 1992
- Eugenio Prieto Garcia (1955 – 1992) — Find a Grave Memorial