Elizabeth J. Collins, 8
Lyric R. Cook, 10
Elizabeth June Marie Collins, 8 YOA
Lyric Ray Lynn Cook, 10 YOA
July 13, 2012: Went Missing from Meyers Lake
Evansdale, IA in Black Hawk County
December 5, 2012: Bodies Found in Seven Bridges Wildlife Park in Bremer County
Date of Deaths: July 13, 2012
PLEASE NOTE: As of July 27, 2015, interim Evansdale Police Chief Jeff Jensen told the Waterloo Courier that despite no arrests in these deaths, the department does not consider the case cold.
We have included the double homicide here on Iowa Cold Cases simply to remind readers it’s not too late to share a tip or lead with investigators. They continue to actively sort through leads and interview witnesses.
If you have any information about the circumstances surrounding the disappearance and deaths of Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins, please call the Evansdale Police tip line at 232-6682 or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at 855-300-8477.
A $150,000 reward, raised privately and by the FBI, is available for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.
On top of that, Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers has a $20,500 reward for anyone coming forward with information that simply leads to an arrest.
Read the full story by Jeff Reinitz, Waterloo Courier (via qctimes.com)
Investigators focusing on Bremer County wildlife area
- Courtesy photo Liz Martin/The Gazette
- Evansdale Chief of Police Kent Smock updates the media on the status of the Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook case during a press conference at the Evansdale City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015. Full story at The Gazette
Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015 — In a press conference held at the Evansdale City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015, Evansdale Chief of Police Kent Smock said authorities are now focusing their efforts on anyone who might be familiar with the remote Bremer County woodland where the bodies of slain cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook were found in December 2012.
Smock made a plea to the public to identify anyone they believe is familiar with the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area.
“I think you will all agree with me that Seven Bridges is extremely remote,” Smock said. “We have no doubt that the person or persons responsible with this crime are very familiar with Seven Bridges.”
Investigators traveled to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Virginia last week to discuss the case, and Smock said federal authorities were impressed with the investigators’ efforts thus far. They were also in agreement that Seven Bridges Wildlife Area represented an important part of the case.
Smock said they want to speak with anyone who is familiar with the wildlife area — which was formerly a Bremer County park and a popular gathering place — in order to eliminate them as suspects. Read The Gazette’s full story.
Other Recent Updates
From the Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, by Jeff Reinitz
EVANSDALE | The person who abducted a pair of cousins two years ago is likely local, according to new information released in connection with the investigation into their disappearance.
Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, went missing after they left for a bike ride in Evansdale in July 2012. They were later found dead in a rural Bremer County wildlife area. No arrests have been made in their deaths.
On Thursday, Evansdale police unveiled a new web page (http://evansdalepolice.org/latestonlyricandelizabeth.php) to act as a clearinghouse for information on the unsolved case.
Read Jeff Reinitz’s full story at the WCF Courier
Case Summary compiled by Jody Ewing
Lyric R. Cook, 10, and her cousin, Elizabeth Collins, 8, were reported missing to the Evansdale Police Department in Evansdale, Iowa, on Friday, July 13, 2012.
The girls were seen at about 12:23 p.m. July 13 on Brovan Boulevard in Evansdale, and then spotted between 12:30 and 1 p.m. on Gilbert Drive not far from Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area in the northeastern Iowa city of about 4,700 residents.
Their bikes and Elizabeth’s purse were later found on a trail on the southeast corner of Meyers Lake about 4 p.m. the same day the girls went missing, but there was no clue as to their whereabouts.
- Courtesy photo WHO-TV Channel 13
- Meyers Lake, where the girls’ bicycles were found the day they went missing.
The girls’ grandmother, Wylma Cook, told the press she last saw the girls riding their bikes near downtown Evansdale about 12:15 p.m. July 13.
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012, hunters came across two deceased bodies in the Seven Bridges Park near Readlyn in Bremer County — a wildlife area about 25 miles from where the girls were last seen. They contacted law enforcement officials at 12:45 p.m.
On Thursday, December 6, 2012, Chief Deputy Rick Abben with the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office held a press conference, where he announced they were confident the bodies were those of Lyric and Elizabeth.
Abben said there were no other missing persons cases and the remains found were of a smaller stature.
Black Hawk County in Iowa
Evansdale in Black Hawk County
The bodies were transported to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Ankeny for positive identification.
Medical Examiner Confirms: Bodies Found are Missing Evansdale Girls
On Monday afternoon, December 10, 2012, the Iowa State Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed the bodies found on Wednesday were those of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins.
Chief Kent Smock of the Evansdale Police Department received confirmation Monday, according to a Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office press release.
Smock notified the families.
No other information was released to police other than the confirmation, Abben said.
Troubled History for One Girl’s Parents
According to a Cedar Rapids Gazette article published July 25, 2012, Dan Morrissey, 36, was scheduled to appear Friday in Black Hawk County court in Waterloo for a pretrial conference covering four separate cases, including one where he was charged with assaulting his estranged wife, Misty Morrissey, the mother of 10-year-old Lyric Cook.
The Gazette said other cases against Dan Morrissey charge him with possessing, dealing and making methamphetamine, and a range of other drug charges that could lock him up for decades if convicted.
The Gazette also reported that investigators were closely scrutinizing Dan and Misty Morrissey and had subjected both of them to multiple polygraph tests. At the same time, investigators said Dan and Misty were not considered suspects in the girls’ disappearance, and were looking into their backgrounds and that of their associates only so as not to discount any possible leads.
Community members held a candlelight vigil Wednesday night at Meyers Lake at the same spot where they’d set up a makeshift memorial after the girls disappeared in July. The news that the bodies had been found hit them hard.
“Just broken. I think a lot of people are,” family friend Sarah Curl told WHO-TV’s Aaron Brilbeck. “We’ve all held out pretty strong that there’s going to be a positive outcome.”
Curl said the community did everything they could to help raise awareness and bring the girls home.
Hundreds of volunteers had helped search for the cousins, and the lake near where their bicycles were found had been partially drained.
The girls’ families have asked for privacy at this time.
Funeral services for Lyric Cook were held at 2 p.m. Dec. 29 at the Heartland Vineyard Church Cedar Falls.
Memorial services for Elizabeth Collins were held December 13.
On Friday, January 25, 2013, State Senator Kent Sorenson, R-Milo, championed the idea of reintroducing the death penalty in Iowa. Elizabeth Collins’ parents joined Sorenson and parents of other missing and murdered children at the Capitol for a news conference where the senator outlined five pieces of legislation he planned to introduce during the current session.
“Trail of Angels”
On February 6, 2013, officials announced that the trail and park at Meyers Lake would be renamed to honor the memory of Lyric and Elizabeth. The trail that runs around the lake is now known as the “Trail of Angels.” The park sitting next to the lake will be known as “Angels’ Park.”
“There is a lot of memorials around the lake and throughout the bike trail in Evansdale,” Jeff Dawson, Chairman of the Evansdale Parks Department told KCRG in a story that aired February 5, 2013. “We thought if you’re riding your bike or walking, it’s a nice way to memorialize people that you don’t want to forget.”
Volunteers thought up the project and put it together through fundraising. According to KCRG, the group hopes to continue raising money to add a few more memorials and additions to the park like a roadway from the land to the island, a gazebo, and possibly a bronze statue.
The city also declared July 13 as “Lyric and Elizabeth Day.”
Reward Hits $170,500
According to a July 11, 2014 report by KWWL’s Bob Waters, the reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case has reached $170,000.
An August 21, 2014 Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier story published online provided the following details concerning the award:
A $150,000 reward, raised privately and by the FBI, is available for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case. Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers has a $20,500 reward for anyone coming forward with information that simply leads to an arrest.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Evansdale Police tip line at (319) 232-6682 or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at (855) 300-8477.
Donations may be left at the Evansdale Police Department or mailed to: Crime Stoppers — Elizabeth and Lyric, PO Box 1510, Waterloo, IA 50704.
DCI Confident Michael Klunder no longer person of interest
State investigators conducted a painstaking examination of potential similarities between the kidnapping and murder of Dayton teenager Kathlynn Shepard and missing person cases in Iowa, and in June 2013 a state official announced that potential connections were already being analyzed between Shepard’s murder and the Cook and Collins slayings.
“Thankfully, we know for every county, every city, what unsolved missing persons cases they have,” said Gerard Meyers, assistant director of field operations of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation in a USA Today story published June 10, 2013. “We’ll want to look and see if there are any attributes from those cases that are at all consistent with this case.”
Shepard, 15, and another girl were kidnapped from Dayton on May 20 while walking home after school. Authorities say Michael James Klunder, 42, took the girls to a hog confinement lot where he worked, and zip-tied their hands. The other girl managed to escape when Klunder took Shepard to another part of the property, police say. Fishermen found Shepard’s body Friday night, June 7, 2013, in the Des Moines River about 15 to 20 miles downriver from where it runs along Dayton’s east side.
According to the USA Today story, Meyers said authorities were taking a two-pronged approach to any comparisons: laboratory analysis of forensic evidence, and investigative work that could pinpoint, among other things, where Klunder may have been when other people went missing. Klunder served about two decades in prison, from 1992 to 2011, for previous kidnapping and assault charges.
On May 14, 2014, DCI Special Agent Mike Roehrkasse with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said the DCI is pretty confident Michael Klunder is no longer a person of interest in the [Cook/Collins] case.
“We’re coming for you”
In May 2014, Drew Collins and Waterloo Director of Safety Services Dan Trelka traveled to Utica, New York, to participate in the Ride for Missing and Exploited Children.
“We’re coming for you. We’re going to find you, and we’re going to come get you,” said Waterloo Director of Safety Services Dan Trelka.
Hundreds of cyclists rode the nearly 100-mile route in two-by-two formation showing solidarity for those they’ve lost, KWWL.com reported on May 16, 2014.
“They always have to be remembered,” Trelka said. “That’s one of the reasons we’ve involved, to remember these kids.”
The remembrance came with a message for the killer of the Black Hawk County girls.
“We’re coming for you,” Trelka said. “We’re going to find you, and we’re going to come get you.”
Investigators focus on Seven Bridges Wildlife Area
In a press conference held at the Evansdale City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015, Evansdale Chief of Police Kent Smock said authorities are now focusing their efforts on anyone who might be familiar with the remote Bremer County woodland where Lyric and Elizabeth were found in December 2012.
Smock made a plea to the public to identify anyone they believe is familiar with the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area.
“I think you will all agree with me that Seven Bridges is extremely remote,” Smock said. “We have no doubt that the person or persons responsible with this crime are very familiar with Seven Bridges.”
Investigators traveled to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Virginia last week to discuss the case, and Smock said federal authorities were impressed with the investigators’ efforts thus far. They were also in agreement that Seven Bridges Wildlife Area represented an important part of the case, The Gazette reported on Feb. 3, 2015.
Smock said they want to speak with anyone who is familiar with the wildlife area — which was formerly a Bremer County park and a popular gathering place — in order to eliminate them as suspects.
About Lyric and Elizabeth
Lyric Ray Lynn Cook (courtesy Locke Funeral Home) was born on October 2, 2001, in Waterloo to Dan and Misty Morrissey. She attended Kingsley Elementary School and was 10 years old. Lyric passed away on Friday, July 13, 2012.
Lyric Cook (courtesy Locke Funeral Home)
Lyric was survived by her parents, Dan and Misty Morrissey; her brother, Dillin Morrissey; maternal grandmother, Wylma Cook and paternal grandmother Vicki Weikert; paternal great-grandmother Ilene Weikert; maternal uncles and aunts Russel Bertch, Kathy and Paul Anderson, Tammy (favorite aunt) and Bill Brousseau, Tracy and Denise Bertch, Heather and Drew Collins, and Jeramia Cook. Lyric was also survived by many cousins and friends.
Lyric was preceded in death by her paternal great-grandfather, Jim Weikert and maternal grandfather, Ray Cook.
Lyric was a very special young lady. She was an infectious joy to be around with a smile that radiated with love. In her short years Lyric came to know the Lord Jesus Christ and the importance of salvation through Jesus for the people of the world. She had a heart of compassion for her family and her friends. Lyric enjoyed bowling, cheerleading and gymnastics. Lyric loved to be outside playing — snow, rain, or shine.
Most seen was Lyric’s unconditional love for her family and her special love for her brother Dillin. Her desire to have fun within those loving relationships was seen while going to church, sharing devotions with her parents in the morning and card games with her grandmother in the afternoons.
Memorial services were held at Heartland Vineyard on Saturday, December 29, from 2 to 5:30 p.m.
Elizabeth Collins (courtesy Overton Family Funeral Homes)
Elizabeth June Marie Collins (courtesy Overton Family Funeral Homes) was born at Allen Memorial Hospital in Waterloo, Iowa, on July 31, 2003, the daughter of Drew and Heather (Cook) Collins.
She was a student at Poyner Elementary School and was a bubbly little person, with the best smile, who loved what life had to give and all it had to offer. Elizabeth enjoyed dressing up and getting her nails and hair done. She loved singing, riding her bike and playing softball and hockey. She had a big heart and had a great love for animals.
Elizabeth also loved playing with her siblings and ordering them around. She enjoyed going on vacations and had traveled to many places. Many times were treasured as a family lying in bed eating popcorn and watching movies.
Elizabeth passed away on Friday, July 13, 2012. She was eight years old.
- Courtesy photo Matthew Putney / Courier Photo Editor
- Elizabeth Collins’ dog, Gus, was decorated with a rose at the graveside service for Elizabeth at Waterloo Memorial Park Cemetery on Saturday, May 4, 2013.
She was preceded in death by her paternal great-grandparents Herb and Marie Johnson; maternal grandfather Ray Cook; maternal great-grandparents Cliff and June Brandes and many aunts, uncles, great-aunts and great-uncles.
In addition to her parents, Drew and Heather Collins of Evansdale, Elizabeth was survived by a brother, Kelly, and two sisters, Amber and Callie, all of Evansdale; maternal grandmother Wylma Cook of Waterloo; paternal grandparents Jeno Collins of Detroit and Aaron Michael and Sharon King of Elk Run Heights; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.
- Courtesy photo MATTHEW PUTNEY / WCF Courier
- The headstone of Elizabeth Collins is memorialized with family photos at Waterloo Memorial Park Cemetery.
Memorial services were held Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 5 p.m. at the Heartland Vineyard Church, 1405 Greenhill Rd., in Cedar Falls.
Graveside services for Elizabeth were held at Waterloo Memorial Park Cemetery on Saturday, May 4, 2013, in Waterloo.
Nearly 200 people attended Elizabeth’s burial. Her dog, Gus, also attended the graveside service and was decorated with a rose.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Evansdale Police tip line at (319) 232-6682, or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-855-300-8477.
Sources and other References:
- Evansdale Police Department
- Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office
- Waterloo Police Department
- Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers
- Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- Download the Reward Poster
- Elizabeth June Marie Collins (2003 – 2012) Find a Grave Memorial
- Lyric Ray Lynn Cook-Morrissey (2001 – 2012) Find a Grave Memorial
- “Cold Case: ‘We’d really like to have some answers’: The case of two missing cousins who were abducted in Evansdale in 2012 continues to frustrate investigators,” by Lyle Muller, nonpareilonline.com, August 2, 2015
- “Unsolved Evansdale abduction continues to frustrate investigators — This story is part of “Gone Cold,” a series of stories exploring Iowa’s unsolved murders,” by Lyle Muller, IowaWatch.org and The Des Moines Register, July 28, 2015
- “Cousins’ murder not considered ‘cold case’,” by Jeff Reinitz, qctimes.com, July 27, 2015
- Evansdale City Council fires police chief, by Jeff Reinitz, wcfcourier.com, April 15, 2015
- Missing cousins case to remain ‘paramount’ after firing of police chief, by Chris Earl, KCRG-TV9, April 15, 2015
- Kent Smock leaves fire chief post to focus on Evansdale police duties, by Tim Jamison, wcfcourier.com, February 23, 2015
- Continuing efforts in abduction, murder cases are appreciated, The Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, wcfcourier.com, February 9, 2015
- UPDATE: Evansdale cousins case focusing on wildlife area; public help sought, by Jeff Reinitz, wcfcourier.com, February 3, 2015
- Investigators focusing on Bremer County wildlife area in Evansdale missing cousins case: ‘We’re going to be very careful’ with any tips, police chief says, by Lee Hermiston, The Gazette, February 3, 2015
- Slain Evansdale girls’ case to focus on wilderness area, by Grant Rodgers, The Des Moines Register, February 3, 2015
- Lyric and Elizabeth: Full statement released by Evansdale Police, KWWL.com, February 3, 2015
- Investigators provide update in Evansdale cousins case, by Tad Andersen, KCCI.com, February 3, 2015
- Evansdale Lyric & Elizabeth case laid before national experts, by Jeff Reinitz, wcfcourier.com, February 2, 2015
- Press conference on missing Iowa cousins case Tuesday, by Jeff Reinitz, The Globe Gazette, February 2, 2015
- Investigators in Virginia to present Evansdale case to experts, by Jeff Reinitz, The Globe Gazette, and at wcfcourier.com, January 28, 2015
- Evansdale police seek more national help in murder of cousins, RadioIowa.com, January 28, 2015
- COLD CASE SPOTLIGHT: Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook, DATELINE, nbcnews.com, Sunday, December 14, 2014
- Christmas display up at Angels Park, by Michael Crowe, KWWL.com, December 11, 2014
- Police still receiving tips in 2012 deaths of Iowa cousins, Omaha.com, December 6, 2014
- Leads still coming two years after cousin’s bodies found, by Jeff Reinitz, WCFCourier.com, December 5, 2014
- Lyric and Elizabeth still remembered in Evansdale, by Nikki Newbrough, KWWL.com, December 4, 2014
- 2 years later: Where investigators are in case of Evansdale girls, by Laura Nichols, KCCI.com, December 3, 2014
- Angels’ Park, Evansdale, receives donation from Independence Red-Hatters, by Tari Robertson, The Independence Bulletin Journal, Saturday, November 22, 2014
- Investigators Release Suspect Profile in Murder of Evansdale Cousins, by Aaron Hepker, whotv.com, August 22, 2014
- Evansdale Police start dedicated Lyric and Elizabeth web page, by Amie Steffeneicher, KWWL.com, August 21, 2014
- Police post website for cousins updates, by Jeff Reinitz, WCFCourier.com, Thursday, August 21, 2014
- Mother of abducted cousin pleads guilty to drug charges, WCFCourier.com, Friday, July 25, 2014
- Misty Morrissey pleads guilty to drug charges, by Eric Page, KWWL.com, July 24, 2014
- Sadness remains as two-year mark passes in cousins’ case, The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier/The Clinton Herald, July 22, 2014
- Dan Morrissey loses appeal in drug sentence, by Jeff Reinitz, WCFCourier.com, July 16, 2014
- Family of Iowa cousins try to move forward, The Clinton Herald, July 14, 2014
- Investigation continues as families try to put lives back together, by Jeff Reinitz, wcfcourier.com, July 13, 2014
- Investigation into murder of cousins continues in Evansdale, by Jeff Reinitz (Waterloo Courier), qctimes.com, July 13, 2014
- Motorcycle ride remembers Evansdale cousins, by Tim Jamison, WCFCourier.com, July 12, 2014
- Ride for the Girls marks 2nd anniversary of disappearance, by Bob Waters, KWWL.com, July 11, 2014
- Hundreds expected at memorial ride for Evansdale cousins, by Shelley Russell, KWWL.com, July 11, 2014
- Registration open for motorcycle ride in memory of slain Evansdale cousins, by Shelley Russell, KWWL.com, June 10, 2014
- Drew Collins rides bicycle in Elizabeth’s memory in New York, by Kyle Palmolea, KWWL.com, May 16, 2014
- Lyric, Elizabeth update: Klunder ruled out as killer of girls, by Jeff Reinitz, WCFCourier.com, May 15, 2014
- Missing girls update: Klunder ruled out as killer of girls, by Jeff Reinitz, WCFCourier.com, May 14, 2014
- Klunder no longer ‘person of interest’ in Evansdale case, KWWL.com, May 14, 2014
- Drew Collins, Trelka to participate in missing children bike ride, WCFCourier.com, March 17, 2014
- Mother of Evansdale girl arrested, jailed again | Local News – KCCI Home, March 4, 2014
- Mother Of Slain Evansdale Girl Back In Custody | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, March 4, 2014
- Lyric Ray Lynn Cook obituary, Locke Funeral Home
- Elizabeth June Marie Collins obituary, Overton Family Funeral Homes
- When a child goes missing: The Collinses find new calling in advocating for abduction prevention – Community Newspaper Group : Cedar Falls Times, Dec. 23, 2013
- Photos: The hunt for Elizabeth and Lyric (part 1) : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, Dec. 5, 2013
- Photos: The hunt for Elizabeth and Lyric (part 2) : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, Dec. 5, 2013
- Calls Still Coming On Slain Iowa Cousins, WOWT.com, Dec. 5, 2013
- Parents of Elizabeth Collins, ex-DCI agent to speak at S.R. United Methodist – Community Newspaper Group : News, Dec. 5, 2013
- Evansdale girls case update: 1 year after they were found dead | Local News – KCCI Home, Dec. 5, 2013
- One year after Lyric & Elizabeth found murdered, case not cold – KWWL, Dec. 4, 2013
- A year later, probe continues in Iowa cousins’ deaths | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com, Dec. 4, 2013
- Poyner Elementary fifth graders make jewelry in memory of friend – KWWL.com, Nov. 3, 2013
- Family remembers Lyric Cook on birthday – KWWL.com, Oct. 2, 2013
- “Angels Among Us” Poker Run honors kidnapped girls – KWWL, Aug. 17, 2013
- Authorities warn of scam surrounding slain Evansdale girls, RadioIowa, Aug. 14, 2013
- Door-to-door scam requests donations for Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins | WQAD.com, Aug. 13, 2013
- Child abduction response training coming to North Iowa | KIMT TV 3, Aug. 9, 2013
- Preventing Abuse Conference in Cedar Rapids Looks at Human Trafficking | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Aug. 9, 2013
- Derby Divas to raise funds for Angels Park : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, Aug. 9, 2013
- Amber Alert improved, WCF Courier, Aug. 8, 2013
- Kidnapping cases prompt change to Amber Alert criteria | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs, July 31, 2013
- Evansdale cousins remembered in Saturday’s ‘Memorial Ride and Drive for the Girls’ – Community Newspaper Group, July 18, 2013
- KELOLAND.com | Iowans Mark Missing Cousins Anniversary, July 14, 2013
- Community remembers Elizabeth and Lyric on first anniversary : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, July 13, 2013
- Hundreds of Motorcycles Ride to Remember Evansdale Cousins | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, July 13, 2013
- Memorial ride honors girls’ memory, raises funds for Crime Stoppers, park, Globe Gazette, July 13, 2013
- ONE YEAR: Parents ‘Happy’ With Investigation | WHOTV.com, July 12, 2013
- Turning Tragedy into Beauty: Work Continues at Angels Park | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, July 12, 2013
- 1 year later: Collins family remains active after disappearance of Elizabeth, Lyric : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, July 12, 2013
- Investigators Grieve With Families, Community as 1-Year Anniversary of Evansdale Abduction Approaches – Police & Fire – Cedar Falls, IA Patch, July 11, 2013
- Photos: The hunt for Elizabeth and Lyric (part 2) : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, July 11, 2013
- ANNIVERSARY MEAL: Remembering Slain Cousins, WHO-TV Channel 13, July 10, 2013
- Slain cousins case frustrates as anniversary nears, The Associated Press, July 8, 2013
- Memorial Ride and Drive For The Girls set for July 13th – KWWL, July 7, 2013
- Year has brought new purpose, no comfort for Elizabeth Collins’ family | The Des Moines Register | desmoinesregister.com, July 7, 2013
- Family finds new purpose after Iowa girls disappeared, USA Today, July 7, 2013
- Slain Iowa Girl’s Father Pleads Guilty In Drug Case | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, June 26, 2013
- New and old tips led to new appeal in abducted cousins case, chief says : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, June 25, 2013
- New focus on vehicle gives parents of abducted girls some hope, RadioIowa, June 25, 2013
- Elizabeth Collins’ parents react to new eyewitness report | Local News – KCCI Home, June 25, 2013
- Evansdale missing cousins Law Enforcement update – Community Newspaper Group : Independence Bulletin Journal, June 25, 2013
- Heather & Drew Collins Talk About New Tips, Investigation Nearing One Year | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, June 24, 2013
- MURDERED COUSINS: New Tip In Case | WHOTV.com, June 24, 2013
- Morrissey pleads guilty to meth charges : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, June 24, 2013
- DCI searching for white SUV in connection with Lyric, Elizabeth – KWWL, June 24, 2013
- Evidence in Dayton, Evansdale cases headed to FBI crime lab, Des Moines Register blogs, June 21, 2013
- Police Investigate Dayton-Evansdale Abductions Connection | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, June 19, 2013
- Officials to compare abduction to unsolved Iowa cases, USA Today, June 10, 2013
- Elizabeth Collins’ parents hope to attend Shepard’s funeral, The Gazette, June 9, 2013
- SHOWING SUPPORT: Bikers Ride In Honor, WHO-TV Channel 13, June 8, 2013
- Police still looking for link between Dayton kidnapping, Evansdale cousins’ case : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Jeff Reinitz, WCF Courier, June 7, 2013
- Authorities Still Looking into Klunder in Evansdale Case | KIMT TV 3, June 7, 2013
- Evansdale investigators: Klunder just one of leads in case, KCCI News Channel 8, June 7, 2013
- Link between two Iowa abductions still being explored, RadioIowa, June 7, 2013
- EVANSDALE CASE: Authorities Consider Klunder And Other Leads | WHOTV.com, June 7, 2013
- Iowa Official: Psychics Not on Payroll, WOW-TV Channel 6, June 6, 2013
- Work continues on Angels Memorial : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Holly Hudson, WCF Courier, June 3, 2013
- UPDATE: Police look for link between Dayton kidnapping and cousins’ case : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by the Associated Press and Courier Staff, WCF Courier, May 30, 2013
- Investigators hope to decide next week whether Klunder involved in Evansdale murders, The Gazette, May 29, 2013
- Police examine sex offender in Iowa cousins’ slayings – Omaha.com, May 29, 2013
- Police Still Examining Klunder’s Possible Connection To Evansdale Case | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, May 29, 2013
- In ‘evil’ week, tiny Dayton tries to cope, The Des Moines Register, May 26, 2013
- ABDUCTION LINK? Elizabeth’s Mom Hopes For Closure | WHOTV.com, May 24, 2013
- NEW DETAILS: Investigator: Missing Iowa girl’s blood found, by Ryan J. Foley, Associated Press, May 23, 2013
- Investigators probe Evansdale-Dayton connection | Local News – KCCI Home, May 23, 2013
- Michael Klunder, Iowa Kidnapping Suspect, Probed In Death Of Lyric Cook, Elizabeth Collins, Huffington Post, May 23, 2013
- Kathlynn Shepard Missing: Authorities also probe suspect Michael Klunder in 2012 slayings of Iowa cousins Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins – Crimesider – CBS News, May 23, 2013
- Police seek link between abduction suspect, Evansdale cousins, by Jeff Reinitz, Waterloo Courier/QC Times, May 21, 2013
- Evansdale investigators looking for links in Dayton missing girl case, The Des Moines Register, May 21, 2013
- Library memorial for murdered cousins opening today : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, May 20, 2013
- Missing cousins ribbons to be recycled : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Holly Hudson, WCF Courier, May 10, 2013
- Funeral held for 1 of 2 slain Iowa cousins, The WCF Courier, May 4, 2013
- KDLT.com South Dakota News – Funeral Held For 1 of 2 Slain Iowa Cousins, by Associated Press, May 4, 2013
- Hundreds mourn at burial service for Elizabeth Collins : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Jon Ericson, WCF Courier, May 4, 2013
- Hundreds mourn at burial ceremony for Elizabeth Collins, The Sioux City Journal, May 4, 2013
- Hundreds mourn at Evansdale girl’s burial, Quad-City Times, May 4, 2013
- Photos: Elizabeth Collins’ graveside service, by Matthew Putney, WCF Courier, May 4, 2013
- ELIZABETH BURIED: Mourners Attend Funeral | WHOTV.com, May 4, 2013
- Funeral Set For Elizabeth Collins | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa, KCRG.com, May 3, 2013
- Elizabeth Collins funeral Saturday open to public – KWWL, May 3, 2013
- Dispatchers honored for cousins tipline : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Jeff Reinitz, WCF Courier, May 2, 2013
- ASSAULT CASE: Dan Morrissey’s Trial Delayed | WHOTV.com, April 28, 2013
- UPDATE: Three Iowa law enforcers receive victim service awards, by Mike Wiser, WCF Courier, April 25, 2013
- Two Black Hawk Co. law officers recognized in Des Moines – KWWL.com, April 25, 2013
- Angels concert raises more than $30,000 : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Holly Hudson, WCF Courier, April 23, 2013
- Evansdale park plan progressing : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Holly Hudson, WCF Courier, April 23, 2013
- Progress continues on memorial for cousins, KCCI, April 23, 2013
- Will Slain Iowa Girls Ever Get Justice? Gather.com, April 22, 2013
- Photos: Concert for the Angels, WCF Courier, April 20, 2013
- Concert for the Angels remembers Lyric and Elizabeth – KWWL, April 20, 2013
- Concert for the Angels draws large Cedar Valley crowd : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Tim Jamison, WCF Courier, April 20, 2013
- Saturday ‘Angels’ concert takes shape : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, by Holly Hudson, WCF Courier, April 18, 2013
- Paying it forward: Dozens of “Concert for the Angels” tickets – KWWL, April 17, 2013
- Private memorial held for Lyric Cook-Morrissey : The hunt for Lyric and Elizabeth, WCF Courier, April 13, 2013
- Funeral Held for Lyric Cook-Morrissey | Gather, April 13, 2013
- Funeral service held for missing Iowa girl – WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI, April 13, 2013
- Memorial Service Held for Lyric Cook | KCRG-TV9, April 12, 2013
- Funeral service for Lyric Cook held today, sources confirm – KWWL, April 12, 2013
- Evansdale Police Chief: “Stranger danger” conversation important – KWWL.com, April 11, 2013
- Concert for the Angels, WCF Courier, April 5, 2013
- Angel’s Park: Volunteers Urge Patience, WHO-TV Channel 13, April 3, 2013
- Girls make bracelets to raise funds for Angels Park, WCF Courier, April 2, 2013
- Volunteers Get to Work on Angels Park, KCRG TV9, Cedar Rapids, April 2, 2013
- MURDERED CHILD: Burial for Elizabeth Collins, WHO-TV Channel 13, April 2, 2013
- Evansdale Abduction: Burial Planned for Elizabeth Collins an ‘Unbearable Step’ But Part of Healing Process, The West Des Moines Patch, April 2, 2013
- Public burial set for Elizabeth Collins, WCF Courier, April 2, 2013
- Public burial set for 1 of 2 slain Iowa cousins, Des Moines Register, April 2, 2013
- Raising Money: Efforts Help Remember Missing Girls, WHO-TV Channel 13, March 27, 2013
- ‘Angels’ concert for Lyric, Elizabeth set, WCF Courier, March 6, 2013
- Angels Park taking shape, WCF Courier, March 4, 2013
- Surprise Move: Dan Morrissey Pleads Guilty, WHO-TV Channel 13, March 1, 2013
- Residents warned about Angels Park Scam, WCF Courier, Feb. 24, 2013
- Park honoring abducted cousins advancing, WCF Courier, Feb. 22, 2013
- COUSINS MEMORIAL: Bank Donates Money For Gazebo, WHO-TV Channel 13, Feb. 21, 2013
- Memorial gazebo for Evansdale cousins in the works, KWWL Channel 7, Feb. 21, 2013
- Is Evansdale girls’ killer on the loose? Sheriff: No comment, KWWL Channel 7, Feb. 12, 2013
- Park and trail renamed for Iowa cousins, WQAD-TV, Feb. 6, 2013
- Officials to Rename Park, Trail for Cousins Abducted from Evansdale, KCRG-TV Channel 9, Feb. 5, 2013
- Iowa lawmaker calls for legislative hearings on death penalty, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, Jan. 25, 2013
- Cause of Evansdale cousins’ deaths will be kept confidential, The Des Moines Register, Jan. 2, 2013
- Funeral for Lyric Cook planned for Dec. 29, The Iowa City Press-Citizen, Dec. 17, 2012
- Push for ‘Cousins Law’ grows as bodies found, The WCF Courier, Dec. 10, 2012
- UPDATE: Medical examiner confirms bodies found are missing Evansdale girls, The Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier, Dec. 10, 2012
- Autopsies confirm bodies are missing girls, KCCI Channel 8, Dec. 10, 2012
- Cousins case nears homicide classification, The Des Moines Register, Dec. 8, 2012
- The Des Moines Register Complete Coverage on Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins Case
- 127 Photos — Search for Missing Iowa Girls, The Des Moines Register
- Missing Girls: Autopsies could take weeks, KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Dec. 7, 2012
- EVANSDALE SYMPATHIES: Grandmother Speaks, WHO-TV Channel 13 Des Moines, Dec. 7, 2012
- MISSING GIRLS: Officials Confident About Identities, WHO-TV Channel 13 Des Moines, Dec. 6, 2012
- MISSING GIRLS: Hunters Find Two Bodies, WHO-TV Channel 13 Des Moines, Dec. 5, 2012
- 2 bodies found in N.E. Iowa, 5 months after young cousins vanished: Lyric Cook-Morrissey, Elizabeth Collins may be found, authorities say, The Des Moines Register, Dec. 5, 2012
- Anonymous donor adds $100K to reward for two missing Iowa girls, The Des Moines Register, Nov. 30, 2012
- Iowa Dept. of Public Safety Missing Person Information Clearinghouse
- Letter to the kidnapper of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, WCF Courier, Nov. 13, 2012
- Missing cousins’ parents write open letter to kidnapper, WCF Courier, Nov. 13, 2012
- Mother of missing girl faces new court date, KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Nov. 12, 2012
- Dad’s message for daughter: ‘I will never stop looking‘, KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Oct. 19, 2012
- UPDATE: Police re-canvass Evansdale for missing girls, WCF Courier, Oct. 18, 2012
- What do jurors know about missing girl’s dad? KCCI Channel 8 Des Moines, Sept. 26, 2012
- Survey to ask jurors about missing Iowa girl’s dad, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, Sept. 25, 2012
- Evansdale marks two months since cousins’ disappearance, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, Sept. 13, 2012
- Innocence Abducted: From Johnny Gosch to Evansdale Cousins, 30 Years Have Brought Many Changes to Missing Children Investigations, Johnston Patch, Sept. 7, 2012
- Attempted Abduction Reports in Ames Jump After Evansdale Girls Go Missing, The Ames Patch, Sept. 5, 2012
- Search for missing Evansdale, Iowa, girls remains urgent for family, police, The Sioux City Journal, Aug. 22, 2012
- Missing Iowa girls’ families struggle with worry, fear, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, July 30, 2012
- As search for missing girls continues, trial looms for one girl’s father, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, July 25, 2012
- Mother of missing Evansdale girl says she passed second polygraph test, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, July 23, 2012
Copyright © 2015 Iowa Cold Cases, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.