1400 block of Fifth Ave. SE
Cedar Rapids, IA
May 10, 1999
- Linn County in Iowa
Cedar Rapids in Linn County
Jamar Magett, 19, of Chicago, Ill., was shot in the forehead and chest while standing in the 1400 block of Fifth Avenue SE in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on May 10, 1999.
Paul Gilbert, 18, of Cedar Rapids — the younger brother of cold case victim Tyrone Gilbert — was charged and tried in Magett’s murder but acquitted by a Linn County jury in September 1999.
A post in an AETV Cold Case Files community forum alleges Tyrone Gilbert was murdered by the Gangster Disciples gang, who allegedly were friends of Magett.
Willie Junior Brocks, 49, was killed the same year as Jamar Magett and in the same block where Tyrone Gilbert was slain. Brocks’s case also remains unsolved.
If you have any information regarding Jamar Magett’s unsolved murder please contact the Cedar Rapids Police Department at (319) 286-5396 or Iowa Cold Cases via our Contact form.
- “JonBenet arrest fills East Iowans with new hope,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, August 19, 2006
- “Unsolved murders in Cedar Rapids, Iowa,” AETV Community forum, December 10, 2004
- “Cold cases: Technology, tips help clear old homicides, but time takes toll on investigations,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, September 21, 2003
- “Murder: DNA technology did not exist 20 years ago,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, January 31, 2002
- “”Murder has Chicago links,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, June 22, 2001
- “Investigations continue into unsolved C.R. murders,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, December 16, 1999
- “‘Tragedy’ illustrates area’s struggles,” Cedar Rapids Gazette, November 28, 1999