Scott County in Iowa
Davenport in Scott County
700 block of Main Street
September 23, 1935
Case information added by Jody Ewing
Charles Englehart, a 70-year-old retired barber, was struck in the head twice when getting out of his vehicle while parked in a Davenport alley early Sunday night, September 23, 1935. Englehart later died at a local hospital.
- Courtesy photo The Morning Democrat
- Charles Englehart’s murder made many headlines due to his status in the community.
Englehart often carried large amounts of cash in his wallet, and although the wallet was missing, Davenport police said the suspect left behind a diamond ring and stickpin.
Englehart’s murder made headlines as both police and private detectives struggled to identify his killer. The Morning Democrat wrote on October 14, 1955:
Many murder victims are practically unknowns as far as the general public [is] concerned. But this case was different, for the victim was Charles Englehart, 68, a long-time resident of the city, a member of many local fraternal organizations and a stockholder in a large, successful wholesale firm in Davenport.
In an article published March 27, 2010 in the Quad-Cities Dispatch-Argus, reporter Bill Mayeroff called Englehart’s murder “the oldest of 52 unsolved Quad-Cities area murders discovered during a search of Dispatch/Argus files and of old police records by officers.”
- Courtesy photo Jim & Lori Rowe, findagrave.com
- Charles Englehart is buried in Louisa County’s Grandview Cemetery.
Charles Englehart was born in 1865 and buried September 25, 1935 in his hometown of Grandview, Iowa.
If you have any information about Charles Englehart’s unsolved murder, please contact the Davenport Police Department at (563) 326-7979 or Iowa Cold Cases via our Contact form or Anonymous Tip Form.
- “Cold cases: Unsolved, but not forgotten,” Quad-City Times, June 26, 2011
- “Davenport’s unsolved homicides,” Quad-City Times, June 25, 2011
- “Murders unsolved but not forgotten,” Quad-Cities Dispatch-Argus, March 27, 2010
- “Cold case murders 1935-2009,” Quad-Cities Dispatch-Argus, March 27, 2010
- “Who Could Have Killed Kindly Charles Englehart?” The Morning Democrat, Oct. 14, 1955
Copyright © 2013 Iowa Cold Cases, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.